Sunday, September 26, 2010

September 24, 2010

Hola Familia!
I should probably take notes of things through out the week so I can say everything I want to in the emails! This week has gone by super fast! I've made it through a third of the way through the MTC! Its way cool. Went to the temple today. We did initiatory. We had to be quick because we were late.
We had choir practice.... FOR GENERAL CONFERENCE! I have the opportunity of singing in the Priesthood Session of General Conference. Its way cool. I'm second tenor so I’ll be in the middle. I’ll be wearing my favorite tie (the one that I wore when I went into the MTC). One of our directors said that he was watching last years singing on Youtube. I don't know if it will this year but it'll still be way fun. Also another reason to go on a "field trip". One of the things that I’m looking forward to is the ability to look back after my mission while I’m watching priesthood and remember that I was in that choir.
We had a pretty cool devotional this week. The part that stuck out to me the most was, "we can only learn spiritual things by a manifestation of the spirit." I hadn't ever really thought about it but it makes sense. After some reflection I realized that I had had the spirit with me a lot more often than I thought.
This week me and my companion have been focusing on the second lesson. For some reason in comparison to the first lesson it seems super long! Its nice though that it all ties together. Spanish is coming along nicely. Slowly but nicely. We had a substitute come in and he made small talk then we talked about studying our mission language. Most of us confessed that it was one of the hardest things we've had to do. After some talks and pondering time this stuck out to me the most, "You were Chosen by God, through his mouth piece, to serve in your area. Not only your are but in that specific tongue. He would not ask you to do this if he did not know that you could do it. He had the gift of tongues waiting for you, if you are desiring to work for it." It was a comforting thought that I can do it, and I know God knows it.
As far as just regular everyday things go its alright. I have to get up earlier for choir practice but given the alternative I’ll get up. Twice now I’ve gotten up in the middle of the night thinking it was time to leave. I looked back at the clock one time after putting my belt on and realized that it was 12:10 not 6:10.
I don't know if I mention before but we got more roommates. They are funny and good elders as far as I can tell. I hope they can persevere. They gym opened finally and I played against them. One of them I had two super hard blocks on. Made me feel big and tall. He didn't like it too much though. I was reading in my journal a few nights ago and I read something that I don't really remember writing. Its pretty neat and I don't have it with me so I’ll send it in a second email. I know that many are praying for me. It is my hope that I fulfill those prayers and hopes.
Con amor,
Elder Mackay
P.S. Mom I sent the package with my camera in it today. I expect interest in the form of food! Well not really, but it would be nice.


I talked about a journal entry that I had that I wanted to write. Here it is:
Much as Nephi was prompted to share some things in his "journal," I have a similar feeling. Maybe not as important but I feel prompted to do so. I have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord. I am to preach the gospel of repentance to the souls belonging to the sons and daughters of God." I wonder 'how am I, one of such low stature able to do this?' Also I consider, 'how many drops of blood were spilt for me, that night, in that garden of Gethsemane?' as a representative of that Great Being of the earth, I desire with all my heart and soul to not disappoint that name, even Jesus Christ. While learning and struggling it is easy to get discouraged and feel unable to do this. I must remember that if I work hard and be obedient, I will be made equal to my calling. Being a man of reason and mathematics, I know I am not presently equal to my calling. Therefore over the course of a few months, I will slowly have things added to me to make me equal."
The funny part is I don't remember writing much of that. I hope that I can do what it says though.
One more thing I forgot to mention is that I got a haircut today. It’s a little different than what mom did but it’s still pretty good.
Con amor,
Elder Mackay

No comments:

Post a Comment